Sending out a test survey round to employees is a good idea to confirm that the survey process works as expected.
It's possible to send out a regular survey and target it to a segment of employees who will be the test survey population. Thereafter, your Customer Success Manager will be able to mark the round as a test round so that the results are not included in your regular survey results.
Alternatively, you can send a test round by clicking on the green Send test round option from within the survey schedule as detailed below.
Sending a test round
- Click Administration in the left menu
- Select a survey by clicking on the green View icon
- You will then see all the survey tabs at the top of your screen.
- Set-up the survey details under the Frequency, Email, Survey Settings, SMS (if using SMS) and Kiosk (if using kiosk) tabs but do not set the survey send out date under the Schedules tab as this will trigger the real survey to be sent on the specified date.
- Once the details have been set-up click on the Send test round icon at the top right of your screen. This option is available under any of the survey tabs.
- Select individual employees to add to the test round or select a whole segment of employees
- Click on the Send test questions icon
Once the test round has been sent, the employees will receive the survey via email/SMS/Kiosk containing the survey.
How long is a test round open for?
Test rounds soft close instantly meaning that they are only open for two weeks from the day the test is sent.
Switching between test and regular survey results
Once you have launched your regular survey, you will still be able to switch between the regular and test survey results.
- In the left menu, click into the context selector
- Select the settings option from the drop-down menu
- Check the box for "Only test data" to show the test survey results
- A yellow banner at the top of the page will indicate that you are viewing test results.
- To switch back to the regular survey results, click on the "Show company data" link in the yellow banner.
It is also possible to view your test round activity in Schedules by going into Administration > Schedules > Activity > Include test rounds.
Best practices for sending a test round
Test results will be subject to the same data aggregation settings as the real survey. Depending on how large a test group you would like to include in a test round, take into consideration the following:
- Include in the test round enough employees for a dashboard to populate with scores.
- The test group should be asked to open the survey on both the web and on mobile to ensure the survey and logo are rendering correctly.
- If running the survey in multiple languages, including participants from each language group ensures that translations can be given a final check prior to launching the real survey. This is useful if questions have been customised or custom questions have been added.
- If employees are geographically dispersed, involve employees from multiple offices in the test round to ensure that the survey is being delivered and the links in the survey email are working correctly.
- Involving members from the IT department in the test round is also good practice since they will be able to fix any network issues that may prevent the survey from being delivered and the links being accessed.