Restrictions on attributes can be applied to two aspects of the attribute:
- Viewing the attribute values on Employee records
- Viewing the attribute scores on the heatmap
For example, it’s possible to have certain attributes and their segments restricted from view on the heatmap for certain groups of managers. For instance, you may not wish for managers to have access to employee salary information. In this case, the salary attribute can be marked as restricted. This means that managers will not be able to view any segments from a restricted attribute, unless they have been granted access to view the restricted attribute.
For those managers who also have access to view employee record information in the left menu, restrictions can also be placed on whether they can see restricted attribute values on employee records. When restricted, this means that they will not be able to filter on restricted attributes on the employee page, nor will they be able to view the attribute values on the employee record itself.
To get started, firstly decide on which attribute will be marked as restricted - both for dashboard access and for employee data access. Secondly, decide which access control groups, if any, should still be able to access restricted attributes. Permission to access restricted attributes will need to be turned on in the access control groups for both dashboard access and for employee data access.
NOTE: Restricted attributes will only be hidden on the heatmap. For example, a manager with access to view all employee data (as defined in the access control group) or a manager who has been added to a segment, will not be able to view the restricted attributes in the heatmap. However, they will be able to search for the restricted attribute segments in the context selector in the left menu bar and open up the dashboard for these restricted attribute segments.
Restricting an attribute
Account admins are able to mark an attribute's scores or employee record values as restricted by following the steps below:
- Clicking on the “Configuration” option in the left menu
- Selecting the “Attributes” under Company
- Select the attribute you would like to mark as restricted
- Click on the "Advanced" text string to reveal additional attribute information
- Toggle the "Employee data access" and the "Dashboard access" to the on position to reveal the restriction options. Toggling this switch to the off position means that the attribute will not be visible at all on the employee records or on the dashboard.
- Select either "Restricted" or "Not restricted" for either the Dashboard access and/or Employee data access
- Click on the green “Update” option to save changes
Note: it's not possible to restrict "Employee data access" on the default "Tenure" attribute.
Managing restricted attributes from the access control groups
In some instances you may wish to allow certain groups of managers to be able to view a restricted attributes Dashboard scores or Employee data access when viewing employee records.
Admins can manage manager access to restricted attributes from within access control groups by:
- Clicking on Configuration > Access Control from within the Company submenu
- Select the relevant access control group
- Click on the “Access statistics” option to reveal additional options
- Toggle the “Access restricted attributes” option to the on or off position. This option controls whether the access control group is able to view restricted segment data on their dashboard.
- If the “View employees” option is also turned on, click on the “View employee” option to reveal additional options for restricted attributes
- Toggle the “View restricted attributes” option to the on or off position. This option controls whether the access control group will be able to view the restricted attribute information on the employee records.
- Click on the “Save group” option
Restricted attributes and strengths and priorities
It's important to note that restricted attributes cannot be highlighted as strengths or priorities for those managers who do not have access to view the restricted attributes. For those managers who do have access to view restricted attributes, these attribute can still be used in comparisons and will therefore also be eligible to be highlighted as a strength or priority.
Viewing restricted attributes
Managers who have access to view restricted attributes will able to see them on employee records and/or on the dashboard's segment page, depending on the access controls that have been setup by the admin. On the segment page, restricted attributes are denoted by a "Restricted" icon when viewing the segment selector - as shown below. Restricted attributes can also be searched for in the context selector in the left menu by managers who have been granted access to view restricted attributes.